History

THE ORGANIZATION

Pittsburgh Filmmakers, Inc. was founded in 1971 and is a private, nonprofit corporation designed to encourage the creation and understanding of media and still photography for noncommercial artistic and literary purposes. To this end, Filmmakers offers a curriculum of courses in film, video, and photography production and theory for credit and non-credit through several colleges and universities as well as to independent students in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area. Filmmakers is a non-degree granting, accredited institutional member of National Association of Schools of Arts and Design (NASAD). It also exhibits the work of prominent photographers and filmmakers in its Melwood Screening Room, Regent Square Theater and Harris Theater. Filmmakers provides equipment access and funding for media artists.

Founded in 1945, Pittsburgh Center for the Arts is a non-profit community arts campus that offers arts education programs and contemporary art exhibitions, providing services and resources for individual artists throughout Western Pennsylvania. The Center is where the community can create, see, support, and learn about visual arts.

Pittsburgh Filmmakers and the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts merged as a single cultural organization in 2006.

A SHORT HISTORY OF PITTSBURGH FILMMAKERS
A SHORT HISTORY OF PITTSBURGH CENTER FOR THE ARTS